Hey! My name is Donna-Marie and my 10 year old Son, Dacian has Autism. Whilst he is the only one with a diagnosis of Autism, we are all affected. This will be a 3 part story.
I have been writing this blog in my mind for some time now and want to share some of our lives with you. It is not easy to open up this part of my world to people outside of my close family and friends but I may be able to help someone in the process. It may also help my friends and family understand Our Autistic Lives a little better!
Here are some basic facts and statistics on Autism in the United Kingdom! Information from the National Autistic Society website.
- Autism is a serious, life-long and disabling condition. Without the right support, it can have a profound- sometimes devastating effect on individuals and families.
- Autism is much more common than many people think. There are around 700,000 people in the UK with autism – that’s more than 1 in 1002. If you include their families, autism touches the lives of 2.7 million people every day.
- Autism is a hidden disability – you can’t always tell if someone has it
- Over 40% of children with autism have been bullied at school.
- Over 50% of children with autism are not in the kind of school their parents believe would best support them.
- One in five children with autism has been excluded from school, many more than once.
- Autism doesn’t just affect children. Children with autism grow up to be adults with autism.
- Nearly two-thirds of adults with autism in England do not have enough support to meet their needs
- 51% of adults with autism in the UK have spent time with neither a job, nor access to benefits, 10% of those having been in this position for a decade or more.
I hope this blog will encourage you to learn more about Autism, Aspergers and the Autistic Spectrum! We hope you will stay a while!
Smiles and rainbows!
Donna-Marie and Dacian!